Friday, March 6, 2009

Tantra Tip of the Day – Learn How to Tell the Truth


One of the most powerful things you can do to is to tell the truth. First, you have to be honest with yourself. Then you can learn how to share your truth with others. It is a common habit to say what is expected, instead of what is true. Like when someone asks, “How are you?” And without even thinking about it you may respond, “I’m fine.” When in truth, you are feeling anything but fine.

Honesty is even more complex in relationships because you are afraid of hurting or disappointing the other person. This is even truer when you are first dating and want the person to like you. Learning to speak the truth is a skill that takes awareness and practice. Years ago I read a book that helped me overcome my habit of saying what I thought others wanted to hear. Mastering these skills has helped me to be more open and authentic in my communications. The book is called Truth in Dating by Susan M. Campbell, Ph.D, in it she shares:

The Ten Truth Skills

1) Experiencing what is
2) Being transparent
3) Noticing your intent
4) Giving and receiving feedback
5) Asserting what you want and don’t want
6) Taking back projections
7) Revising an earlier statement
8) Holding multiple perspectives
9) Sharing mixed emotions
10) Embracing silence

Today ask yourself am I being honest? Is what I am saying true? Am I withholding information out of fear or a need to control? Notice how often to tell the truth. Take some time to explore what telling the truth means to you.
Learn to Tell the Truth

C)Copyright 2009, Crystal Dawn Morris, all rights reserved.
www.TantraForAwakening.com
www.TantraGal.Blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi Crystal, I'm with you on this one, I think this is a special issue in these days of broadcasting how we're feeling and what we're doing to the whole world on Twitter, Facebook... I've started an experiment of saying I'm feeling bad when I am, to see what people's reaction will be - I must say it's at least kinda funny, once you learn not to care too much or expect too much, you can even be surprised... :)

    ReplyDelete

Facebook

http://www.addthis.com/